Saturday, June 14, 2008

Solitary Confinement

I was talking to one of my single friends last evening, and he seemed extremely morose. The reason? His long standing tradition of going out with his friends every Saturday was broken the first time in 5 years. The reason? Well.. All his friends are now either married or engaged - and prefer spending their weekends with their special someones.. Their group had started with around 12 people.. And over the years, the number dwindled exponentially - till this guy was the only one remaining.

The void that's left behind by friends getting hooked up with their special someones is disturbing - as was quite apparent from the way my friend was sulking. And this ordeal is especially painful for people who're staying alone and away from their immediate family. "Love is always overrated" my friend went on.. Yes - there are other important things in this world - great work, good money, a loving and understanding family.. Then why is it so that he's so upset?

I guess it's because a good bank balance or even parents and siblings cannot always give you the kind of company that you wish to have when you want to watch a movie, or cook, or go shopping for a new gadget, or just plain have someone with you as you watch some stupid program on the idiot box. It's basically to cure an ailment called loneliness.


Reminds me of this quote that I read sometime back:
"I've got everything I need except a man. And I'm not one of those women who thinks a man is the answer to everything, but I'm tired of being alone."

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Prasanna said...

To be honest, some time back I had to go through the same phase of loneliness. All of my friends are married, most of them are not in Pune and all of them are now busy with their personal lives. Now we just meet over chat :-(

Initially, it was really boring to sit at home on weekends. I missed being out with friends watching movies (believe me we have watched movies just for the sake of spending our afternoons ... and in any theatre ...), walking on the balgandhrav bridge watching the lonely river flow below ....

Fortunately, now I have come out of it. Time is the best medicine. It heals everything and helps you find other alternatives. And I have found mine :-)

9:17 PM  
Blogger Priyanka M said...

Haha :) That's inspiring Prasanna - I'll convey this to my friend ;)


Cheers!
~ Priyanka.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home