Monday, December 11, 2006

Satyameva Jayate

The national motto of India- translated into English it means- "Truth Alone Triumphs". I read an article by Shashi Tharoor in The Times Of India today morning and he quoted this line and asked "Whose truth?" A billion people will have their own billion truths.

So whose truth will triumph? A famous scholar called Ibn Rushd, who lived in the 12th century, had proclaimed that "Truth never conflicts with truth". Considering that he acknowledged the existence of more than one truth- I guess the statement is quiet ironic...

Each one of us believes that "What I know is the truth". And almost each one of us believes that "My truth will triumph". And what happens when my truth is someone else's lie?

Maybe Ibn Rushd was right. It is not truths that conflict- it is beliefs which do.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home