Sunday, August 12, 2007

Entropy

I have almost always been admonished for my sudden implulses and my heart-rules-head syndrome. Yes- it pinches me to call it a syndrome but that is what it is termed by all the sane people out there. Since they are in majority and I am in minority- I think it would be politically correct to equate it with an abnormal condition (hence the word syndrome)

I have never really planned for any event in my life. I have lived it as it comes. And yes- I have lived it without any regrets. The road has not always been laid down with roses- there have been a lot of thorns too- but I am truly content that I got to live through all of it- good and bad. I have breezed through some beautiful moments and have survived through some tough ones. And there was one thing which was never missing in any of these moments- that element of surprise- adventure and the most important of all- hope.

Of course- that is solely about me. So a disclaimer is required here which says- I am not denying the effectiveness and advantages of logical reasoning and analytical capabilties. I obviously cannot deny that people who find their place in the majority- "The Thinkers"- are pretty content too! And of course there must be some valid reason why such people are in majority while "The Dreamers" are in minority. The Thinkers are assured about the fact that they have thought of almost everything and have planned for any almost any eventuality. Well- it is not surprising that the word almost appeared twice in that last sentence. Yes- it makes sense to plan, to analyse and to conclude and predict based on statistical information. Millions of lives are saved everyday using such tools and techniques and it would be foolish to give up on them! But the bottomline remains- one simply cannot plan for everything- because the future is a surprise. Period. There is no full proof way to prepare for everything and the sooner one understands that, the less disappointed that person will be. Which reminds me of a nice quote I read the other day:

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

It's true- one wants to see the universe and everything that happens as a series of logical events- because it is simple to understand logic- and more importantly because logic would enable one to predict what would happen ahead. And then that element of uncertainty will be gone and one will be more assured. Or at least that is what one thinks would happen.

On the other hand, it is extremely difficult to accept the fact that there are things about this universe which defy logic and reason- which just exist and occur without any visible explanation.

Does that mean that one should stop analysing things completely? No- I don't think so. I guess the way to go about it would be not to analyse all things at the same time- to know that there will always be some things which will not seem to make any sense at the given time in the given circumstances. And to know- that when the time is right- everything will be visible to us... :)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Venkatesh said...

'The Thinkers' also are of two types - inductive and deductive. Deductive thinkers analyze the past in order to completely understand the reasons for the present, and their only plan about the future is to not to repeat any mistakes.

Inductive thinkers are the plan-all-eventuality types. They believe in creating choices for themselves at all junctions.

And as an extension to your previous post - Women are dreamers, men are thinkers (generally :))

10:49 PM  
Blogger Priyanka M said...

Hmm.. Some people are also the deadly mix of Inductive+Deductive :D

And yeah- as for your thoughts on who's a thinker and who's a dreamer, I think the keyword there is "generally" :)

1:42 AM  
Blogger Sushrut said...

I guess it is natural instinct to work towards removing element of surprise as much as possible. Hence templates, prototypes for people etc. We all like to put up signs like "Dhokyache Valan, Vahane Japun Chalwa" where ever possible.

Also I *strongly* disagree with men being thinkers and women dreamers. I have always found it to be opposite.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Priyanka M said...

Ahh.. We have one more view.. :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Prathamesh Bute said...

nice one Priyanka...........
lovely writing, truly impressive.....Subtle, simple and easy to digest!!

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home