Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Discolored


As a child, I remember once asking my elderly relatives why she served tea to her household help in an old, chipped tea cup. She had looked at me nonchalantly and had said:

"We don't use that cup anymore- why throw it when she can use it?
"Why don't you give it in the cups you use? 
Her nonchalance had now turned to indignation. 
"We cannot drink tea in the same cup that a servant has used!" 
"But she washes the plates we eat in, then why do you ..." 
"Priya.. GO PLAY!!
My Mom voice interrupted me as she stared at me with her "wait till we get home" eyes. I dutifully slipped out, as I overheard the relative curtly commenting to my Mom how kids nowadays don't have any manners. 

Almost 20 years later, I thought of that "forbidden" question as I was pouring out tea for Lakshmi Bhabhi, our household help in two identical cups - one for me, one for her. The question had answered itself. 

I was reminded of that incident again today when I watched this video. I wish we would do this in schools in India as well. I would be very happy if I am told that it is already being done. 

Skin color discrimination might not be the top rated issue in India, but the self importance that humans tend to associate with themselves is pretty clear from the wide array of factors that people have identified to continue indulging into their discrimination addiction. Making a child realize how cancerous this attitude is might serve as the right foundation for eradicating this disease.. Well, maybe some day!

http://www.upworthy.com/watch-a-teacher-make-her-3rd-grade-kids-hate-each-other-for-the-best-reason-imaginable-2

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"We don't use that cup anymore- why throw it when she can use it?
"Why don't you give it in the cups you use?
Her nonchalance had now turned to indignation.
"We cannot drink tea in the same cup that a servant has used!"
"But she washes the plates we eat in, then why do you ..."
"Priya.. GO PLAY!!
Thanks for sharing........
Joshva

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home