Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Power Delusion



"Women are the only exploited group in history to have been idealized into powerlessness." 
~ Erica Jong

I share or talk about something like this and often a retort/question comes up: "Not sure what YOU are being so feminist about? It does not look like you have ever been exploited into being powerless"

The answer that is expected in my response is a relieved smile: "I have been so lucky to have been born to parents who told me I have my own voice, and luckier to be married into a family encourages me to believe the same. But I still feel sad for all those girls out there who are not as fortunate"

The real answer is a question - Does a girl need to be "lucky" to be born into a family that raises her to believe in herself? Should her being married into a family that allows her voice be a matter of "good fortune"? 

I have been told, repeatedly, that the answer to that question is a "yes"- that it is actually a matter of luck and not of practice or principles. And simply being grateful and loving for being "lucky" is not enough, one would actually have to be indebted for life for having the "good fortune" of being treated right. 

So much for being idealized. 





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home